Tres Leches Cake. Have you ever tried? Wade and I got married at Dreams Riviera Cancun in Mexico in 2015 and this was our wedding cake. Spongy, light, airy cake…that gets DRENCHED in three kinds of milk then covered in whipped cream. Wait. WET CAKE? Trust me on this. You need to try it to fully experience HEAVEN. This is the real deal…trust me, you will be asked for the recipe the MOMENT they take their first bite!
*as adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Tres Leches Perfect Summer Dessert
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 eggs separated
- 1 c granulated white sugar
- 1/3 c milk (I used 2%)
- 1 ½ tsp GOOD vanilla
TRES LECHES SOAK
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 300 ml can works!
- 1 can evaporated milk whole or 2% works!
- 1/4 c milk 2% works perfectly
- 2 c whipping cream HEAVY/33%
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tsp white granulated sugar **You don't want this to be super sweet at all
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray a 9×13 pan with non stick spray
- In a bowl, mix together your flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- In another 2 bowls, separate your eggs.
- In the bowl with your egg yolks, add 3/4 c sugar and beat with electric beaters (if you have them) until they are pale yellow. Add 1/3c milk and vanilla and just mix long enough to combine, then pour this into the flour mixture and again, mix just to combine then let hang out while you prep the whites.
- In your whites bowl, slowly add 1/4 c sugar while beating on high, then mix until the whites are STIFF peaks. AS in, could you turn the bowl upside down and it wouldn't fall on your head stiff.
- Fold egg whites into the batter gently, just until combined. It should be light and puffy and almost cloud like. It's glorious. Gently pour batter into baking dish.
- Smooth it all out and make sure there are no big air bubbles .Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Now you want to let totally cool on a cooling rack. Do NOT panic when it falls. It comes out looking LARGE and In charge then almost immediately falls, but this is FINE. Once it's totally cooled, poke holes all over the cake, GENTLY with a fork.
- In yet another bowl *this is a cake of many bowls* combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and 2% milk until mixed together. Slowly pour this milk mixture over the whole cake, SLOWLY. You want to let it all soak together…and soak in.
- Cover the cake in plastic wrap and pop in fridge for AT least a few hours before you plan to eat – you can even do overnight.
- MAKE YOUR WHIPPED CREAM – whipping cream, vanilla, sugar, salt and whip until somewhere between soft and stiff peaks. When you're ready to serve the cake, lather this ALL over the top, then shake some cinnamon all over too! Serve with strawberries, or JUST A FORK AND A PLATE! Enjoy xo Happy "VACATION"!
Want more Mexico love?
Want to see our wedding? Please enjoy our Happily Ever Anderson!