A pie is a sweet or savory dish with a crust and a filling. The sides of a pie dish or pan are sloped. It can have a just a bottom, just a top, or both a bottom and a top crust. A galette is a round pastry wrapped and fruit filled dessert that is baked on a baking sheet. You are going to love the way the creamy, buttery pastry melts in your mouth and the tangy taste of summer fruits is a refreshing take on dessert.
The fun part of this recipe is picking which fruit goes in. Have a look around at what’s abundant in your area this time of year and really celebrate local flavours. This is a fun way to mix up the tastes of summer and turn it into the perfect dessert. You get to design your ideal flavour profile and make your own kind of magic in the kitchen. What yummy fruit choices will go in your galettes?
try the summer fruit galettes
Summer Fruit Galettes
For the Butter Pastry
- 1 cup very cold butter cut in small cubes
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ to ⅓ cup ice water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 4 cups fruit or berries – pick your fave fruit!
- 1 tsp coarse sugar
- icing sugar optional
- In a food processor, or in a large mixing bowl, mix or pulse your flour with sugar, and salt. Add cold chunks of butter and pulse or mix until you get crumbs. Think oatmeal. The dough should start to come together but not be sticky.
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- On a large piece of parchment paper, dust some flour then roll out your pastry dough until it’s a 12 inch circle.
- Transfer parchment and pastry to baking sheet.
- In a new bowl add your fruit, brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir together until it’s all coated then pour fruit into the middle of the pastry circle.
- Fold the pastry edges up just until the cover the edges of the fruit mountain.
- Lightly brush pastry with water, then sprinkle with some sugar.
- BAKE until pastry is golden and mixture is bubbly, 35 to 40 min.
- Serve warm with ice cream, or whipped cream, or powdered sugar, or your fave combo! ENJOY!
want more din-spiration?
If you like summer fruit galettes you’re going to want to try my summertime sweet peach and cherry crumble. It’s a celebration of summer fruits your tastebuds will rejoice over and another great way to east seasonally in the summer time. Enjoy! Meg xo
Head to megtucker.com/cook-with-meg-online to check out my fun classes for ALL ages! You will learn to cook easy things that taste great, have fun with the rest of the class and change up your meal routine to include new yummy and fabulous options. I love teaching new recipes and take the time to make sure everyone knows what to do with no stress. Get ready to have fun learning! I can’t wait to see you back again! Thanks for joining me.